You will need to provide two passport-size photographs of the bride and the groom. Thumbprints of the bride and groom are now also required to be on the marriage register, but I will  take care of this on the day.

All documentation listed below is required by law and your marriage will not take place without it:

  1. A Form Bl 31 must be completed if either of you does not have an SA ID Document.  (I will provide this form on the day)
  2. If either of you is divorced, a clear copy of the final decree of divorce is required.
  3. If either of you is a widower/widow, a clear copy of the death certificate is required.
  4. Clear copies of both your ID Documents/Passports are required.
  5. Clear copies of both witnesses ID Documents/Passports are required.
  6. Three ID photos of Bride and Groom

I require all this documentation at least one week BEFORE the date of your wedding. The law stipulates that I CANNOT proceed with your marriage until I have all of the above documentation.

According to legislation, ALL foreigners marrying a South African citizen on South African soil MUST secure an appointment  for an interview with an immigration officer in South Africa BEFORE the marriage takes place.  Both prospective spouses must be interviewed.  Only upon receipt of a declaration letter from the immigration officer can I go ahead with the marriage.  NO marriages will be registered without the letter from the immigration officer, as well as all supporting documentation as above.  There is no need for an interview to be conducted where both prospective spouses are foreigners.  However, verification of identity and status in the Republic must be made.

I are registered under the Civil Union Act of 2006.  The Act allows anyone – regardless of their sexual orientation – to marry either through a civil marriage or a customary marriage.  The Civil Union Act, 2006 (Act No. 17 of 2006) is an act of the Parliament of South Africa which legalised same-sex marriage. It allows two people, regardless of gender, to form either a marriage or a civil partnership. The act was enacted as a consequence of the judgment of the Constitutional Court in the case of Minister of Home Affairs v Fourie, which ruled that it was unconstitutional for the state to provide the benefits of marriage to opposite-sex couples while denying them to same-sex couples.  

On 24 August 2006, the Cabinet approved the Civil Union Bill for submission to Parliament.[1] It was introduced in the National Assembly by the Minister of Home Affairs on 12 September. The original bill only allowed for civil partnerships between same-sex partners, and also included provisions to recognise domestic partnerships between unmarried partners, both same-sex and opposite-sex. The bill was amended by the Portfolio Committee on Home Affairs to allow both marriages and civil partnerships, and to open them to opposite-sex as well as same-sex couples. The committee also removed the provisions dealing with unregistered domestic partnerships.

A civil union may be contracted under the act by a same-sex or opposite-sex couple, and they may choose to form it either as a marriage or as a civil partnership. Whichever name is chosen, the legal consequences of a civil union are the same as those of a marriage under the Marriage Act. Any reference to marriage in any law is deemed to include a civil union, and any reference to a husband, wife or spouse is deemed to include a spouse or partner in a civil union.  Foreign couples marrying in RSA are entitled to a hand-written Unabridged Marriage Certificate upon application.

Although couples married under this act are afforded all rights provided under the marriage act, a same-sex CU is not recognised in some countries – it is your responsibility to ascertain the laws for the country you will be residing in after your marriage.